Spicy Salsa Verde
Prep Time: 10 MINS
Salsa Verde is a classic, spicy sauce that pairs deliciously with grilled steak, fish or as a dip with tortilla chips. Using a broiler and a blender, this sauce is on the table and ready to go in under 20 minutes.
- Remove the husks from the tomatillos and give them a wash to remove any stickiness. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place the tomatillos, chopped red onion, peppers, and garlic on a large baking tray and drizzle over 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Give the pan a shake to get everything coated.
- Set the oven to Broil and transfer the pan to the oven. Roast, turning half way through, for 8-10 minutes until everything is slightly charred and the tomatillos have softened.
- Remove the stems from your peppers (and any seeds, for a milder salsa), and peel the garlic. Transfer the tomatillos, peppers, garlic and onion to a blender and season with salt. Pour in the lime juice and blend until smooth (about 1 minute).
- Serve warm, or transfer to an airtight container. Salsa will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Crank Up your Cooking tip:
For the best results when broiling, make sure your pan is centered under the broiler flame.
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh tomatillos
- 5 - 6 serrano chillies
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups red onion, chopped
- 1 TBSP. lime juice
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 TBSP. olive oil