This air fryer recipe is inspired by traditional Indian samosa recipes and amped up with the mouth-watering taste of macaroni and cheese. To balance the warm, comforting flavor of cheese, we like dipping the samosa in the light, fresh taste of tomato chutney.
Your kids will be sold on the mac ‘n cheese and the whole family will love the crunchy goodness of samosas. You can feel even better serving this as an appetizer or party staple knowing that it’s a healthier recipe when you use the air fryer.
- Heat a medium to large heavy saucepan. Once hot, add oil, onion, garlic and ginger. Fry for 4 minutes, stirring often. Add spices and cook for 1 minute. Then add brown sugar and vinegar, cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until chutney is reduced to a sauce. Let sauce cool slightly and then blend lightly with an immersion blender for a smoother texture.
- Preheat oven to 400°F on air fryer mode.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add flour and garam masala and cook for 1 minute. Add milk then whisk mixture until the sauce starts to thicken, about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add the grated cheddar and frozen peas. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and add the cooked macaroni. Mix to combine. Let cool slightly.
- Cut spring roll wrappers in half. In one half, place 1 tablespoon of the mac and cheese on the bottom corner. Fold the corner into a triangle. Fold the next corner over and repeat one more time, creating a triangle shaped samosa.
- Place samosas on parchment paper lined trays. Spray with cooking spray. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
Air fryer ovens eliminate the need for another countertop appliance by putting the same technology right in your oven. Learn more about how to get the most from your air fryer oven with these helpful tips from the experts.