Baked Churros with Dipping Sauces
Prep Time: 20 MINS
Cook Time: 35 MINS
Everyone loves freshly made churros, but not everyone loves to deep fry, so we’ve created a baked version that cuts out the oily mess. Dip these Baked Churros into a Roasted Strawberry or Chocolate-Peanut Butter Sauce for an extra treat.
- For chocolate-peanut butter sauce: Place heavy cream in a small saucepan and place over medium heat. Once cream simmers, remove from heat and add chocolate and peanut butter. Allow mixture to sit, unstirred, for about 5 minutes to allow the chocolate to melt. Whisk mixture together until creamy and smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl and set aside.
- For roasted strawberry sauce: Preheat oven to 375˚F. In a baking dish toss together strawberries, 1 tablespoon of honey, oil and vinegar until completely combined. Roast for 10-12 minutes. Cool roasted strawberry mixture for 30 minutes. Transfer roasted strawberries, the remaining honey and lemon juice to a blender and blend (with the center cap off and covered with a clean towel) until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl and set aside.
- For churros: Preheat oven to 400˚F. Pour water, butter, sugar and salt into a medium pot, place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, add flour and quickly stir with a wooden spoon until dough forms and lumps have been pushed out. Continue to stir for 2 to 3 minutes to eliminate any raw flour flavor.
- Transfer mixture to a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, turn the speed on medium and allow the steam to escape.
- With the motor running, carefully eggs to the mixer one at a time and continue to beat until a thick and sticky batter forms.
- Scoop the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip (size:7ST).
- Pipe batter onto a parchment lined baking sheet, about 6 inches long and 2 inches apart.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until churros are golden brown and have puffed up.
- Shut the oven off and allow churros to sit in the oven for an additional 15 minutes (this helps to dry them out a little more, keeping the exterior crisp).
- Pour sugar and cinnamon into a large baking dish and shake around and whisk to mix together.
- Once churros are done, transfer into the cinnamon sugar mixture (a few at a time) and shake up until churros are well coated. Serve immediately with dipping sauces.
Crank up your cooking tip:
Only coat the ones you’ll eat immediately in cinnamon and sugar; the rest should be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 3 days. To refresh, place churros onto a baking sheet and bake at 375˚F for 10-12 minutes before tossing in cinnamon-sugar. Speed this process with the PowerPlus™ No Preheat feature on the Frigidaire Professional Double Wall Oven.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
- 2 TBSP. light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
roasted strawberry dipping sauce
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 3 TBSP. honey, divided
- 1/2 TBSP. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 TBSP. fresh lemon juice
chocolate-peanut butter dipping sauce
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 2 TBSP. creamy peanut butter
- Stand mixer
- Piping bag fitted with a large star tip (size:7ST)