Mini Jelly Doughnut Recipe
Jelly doughnuts are one of our favorite treats to pick up from the bakery. While traditional mini jelly doughnuts are deep-fried in oil, you can make healthier jelly doughnuts by using this air fryer recipe. You’ll get the same slightly crisp, soft outside and warm, gooey inside without all of the trans fats or extra oil.
Not only are mini jelly doughnuts great for a family breakfast or dessert, they also have their roots in tradition. Whether you’re using this air fryer recipe over the holidays or whenever you want a sweet treat, you’ll get pillowy soft doughnuts your friends and family will love.
- In a small bowl combine yeast and warm water and stir. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes until foamy.
- In a small saucepan heat milk just until warm.
- In a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment, combine flour, sugar, salt and eggs. Add yeast mixture and milk, mix on low until dough comes together and starts to get sticky.
- Roll dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 4 to 5 minutes until the dough forms a nice smooth, elastic ball.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap and a dish towel. Let sit in a warm place until dough doubles in size, which is about 1 1⁄2 to 2 hours.
- Prepare three parchment paper lined baking trays. Once dough has risen, roll out dough on a lightly floured surface, until it is 1⁄2-inch thick in height.
- Cut out rounds with a 2-inch round cutter. Roll dough scraps to get a second round of doughnuts.
- Place doughnuts on the parchment paper lined baking sheets, lightly cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F on air fryer mode. Once the oven is preheated, spray doughnuts with a cooking oil spray and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown, turning tray halfway through baking.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Then, use a toothpick to make a small hole on the side of the doughnut. With a small piping bag fit with a #3 tip filled with the jam, pipe in approximately 1 teaspoon of jam. Repeat with each doughnut.
- Dust powdered sugar over filled doughnuts. Serve warm. These delicious mini jelly doughnuts are best eaten the day you make them.
Air fryer ovens eliminate the need for another countertop appliance by putting the same technology right in your oven. Learn more about how to get the most from your air fryer oven with these helpful tips from the experts.
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out the dough
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam, or your favorite jam or Nutella® for the chocolate lovers
- Cooking oil spray
- Powdered sugar, for dusting