What does it mean to “Prime the Water Supply System” and why is it important for my refrigerator?
If you just installed your refrigerator, it is connected to a water supply so it can produce ice and dispenser water. However, air can be trapped in the new plumbing lines which can result in 2 or 3 empty ice maker cycles. Furthermore, if the system is not flushed, the first ice cubes may be discolored or have an odd flavor. It will also prohibit the water to evenly flow initially from the dispenser. To prime the water supply system, do the following:
- Begin filling the system by pressing and holding a drinking glass or pitcher against the water dispenser paddle.
- Keep the glass or pitcher in this position until the water comes out of the dispenser. It may take about 1-2 minutes.
- Continue dispensing water for several minutes to flush the system and plumbing connections of any impurities.
- Discard the water and repeat this process a few more times.
- If you have any questions, please contact us.