Sweet Potato Pasta with Hemp Seed and Kale Pesto
Prep Time: 20 MINS
Cook Time: 15 MINS
- Make the pesto: In a blender or food processor, add the peeled garlic and hemp seeds and pulse together. Add kale and pulse again.
- Add lemon juice, olive oil and generous amount of salt and pepper and pulse again.
- Scrape sides and blend into a smooth paste.
- Transfer to a small pot and heat on cooktop over low heat. Add non-dairy milk a little at a time and whisk together until it’s your desired consistency. I like to thin it out for a creamy sauce.
- Sweet Potato Noodles: With a spirializer, make noodles with your sweet potatoes. You could use a julienne peeler – but it will take more time.
- Add noodles to a large skillet or wok. Add 1 tablespoon of oil olive and toss with tongs to coat. Continue to toss with the tongs every minute to prevent the potatoes from burning or becoming stuck on the bottom of the skillet. Do this for 5-10 minutes. You could also add 3 tablespoons of water to hot pan to help steam and soften the noodles. The cooking time will depend on your preferred texture of the noodles. If you love a little crunch, cook for 5 minutes. If you like a softer noodle, cook for 10 minutes
- When the noodles are at the desired texture, add the pesto sauce and tomatoes. Toss to coat.
- Serve in bowls and top with chopped basil, freshly grated parmesan and sprinkle with a few hemp seeds. Enjoy!
Crank up your cooking tip:
In a rush for dinner? Add a tiny bit of water to the pan when cooking the noodles. The high heat of the PowerPlus™ Burner on the Frigidaire Professional® Cooktop will help steam the noodles and cook them in a jiffy.
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 cups of chopped kale
- 3 TBSP. of lemon juice (about 1 1/2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup of non-dairy milk (I use plain, unsweetened almond milk)
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 package of cherry tomatoes, halved
- Optional: grated parmesan cheese and chopped basil for garnish