Pumpkin Spice Trifle
Prep Time: 25 MINS
Cook Time: 50 MINS
This festive, crowd-pleasing Pumpkin Spice Trifle is layered with spiced pound cake, silky pumpkin custard, crispy cookie crumbles, and heavenly whipped cream cheese topping.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour a standard loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the cake mix, flour, sugar, and spice. Add the remaining ingredients and mix on low with an electric mixer until everything starts to incorporate. Turn the mixer up to medium-high and mix for 1 to 2 minutes until combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix for an additional 30 seconds until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until done, 40 to 48 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack for about 20 minutes before removing the cake from the pan. Continue to cool before cutting.
- To make the pumpkin pudding: In a large bowl, whisk the pudding and milk together until the mixture begins to thicken, 3 to 5 minutes. Fold in the pumpkin pie filling until combined and smooth. Place in the refrigerator to chill and thicken until assembly.
- To make the whipped cream cheese frosting: In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese with a rubber spatula until soft and smooth. Add in the sugar and vanilla. Mix until combined. Add more/less sugar to taste. Fold in the whipped topping until combined. Place in the refrigerator to chill and thicken until assembly.
- Once the cake has cooled, cut into 3/4 to 1-inch slices, then cut into cubes. Fit about one-third of the pound cake pieces into the bottom of a trifle dish. Slightly pack in the pieces, especially around the edges, to keep the layers even and separated.
- Spread half of the pumpkin pudding on to the cake then top with a scant cup of cookie crumbles. Repeat with half of the remaining cake pieces, pudding, and cookies. Top with the remaining cake pieces.
- Give the whipped cream cheese topping a quick stir. Pipe or dollop the topping on the last layer of cake pieces.
- Refrigerate for a few hours to set or overnight. Top with the remaining cookie crumbles before serving.
Crank up your cooking tip:
Pack the first two layers of cake pieces slightly and press against sides of the trifle dish to prevent pudding from slipping through.
SPICED POUND CAKE:
- 1 box yellow cake
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 box instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups pumpkin pie filling
WHIPPED CREAM CHEESE TOPPING:
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 to 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups whipped topping
COOKIE CRUMBLE TOPPING:
- 2 1/2 cups crushed Biscoff cookies or gingersnaps
- Standard loaf pan
- Electric mixer
- Trifle dish