Homemade Air Fried Crunchy Onion Rings
- Cut onion into half-inch slices and divide them into individual rings.
- Place the cooling rack on the half-sheet pan and arrange the onion slices on the cooling rack.
- Evenly spray both sides of onions with cooking spray and prepare three separate bowls.
- Bowl 1: Mix together 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 tbsp. of seasoning salt, and 1 tbsp. of cornstarch.
- Bowl 2: In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup of buttermilk and 2 eggs, and set aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Bowl 3: In the third bowl, mix 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 cup of the bread crumbs, 1 tbsp. of thyme leaves, and 1 tbsp. of the seasoning salt.
- Place onion slices into the flour cornstarch mixture and toss well to coat all pieces. Remove rings and place them into the egg mixture. Toss well to coat all of the pieces. Shake off any excess and place rings into the bread crumbs mixture. If the mixture gets clumpy, make another batch for bowl 3.
- Arrange the rings into a single layer on a half-sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Allow the prepared rings to chill in the freezer for a minimum of one hour or until firm.
Air fryer ovens eliminate the need for another countertop appliance by putting the same technology right in your oven. Learn more about how to get the most from your air fryer oven with these helpful tips from the experts.