Elote Drop Biscuits with a Spicy Parmesan Aioli
Prep Time: 10 MINS
Cook Time: 15 MINS
Elote is a popular Mexican street food consisting of steamed sweet corn on the cob slathered in a creamy sauce and then rolled in crumbled cheese and spices; it’s a definite crowd pleaser. We decided to turn the classic street food into a buttery biscuit and pair it with a spicy parmesan aioli.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- For Aioli: Place all ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk together. Cover and set aside until ready to use.
- For Biscuits: Place flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ancho chile powder into a large mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Cut in butter with a pastry knife or using your fingers until a fine grainy texture forms, and then mix in cotija, corn, cilantro and lime zest until well combined.
- Pour buttermilk over the mixture and stir together until sticky dough comes together.
- Using an ice scream scoop (or two spoons) drop 1/2 cup sized biscuits onto a parchment lined baking sheet, 1 inch apart.
- Bake biscuits for 10 minutes, and then remove from oven and brush tops with melted butter. Place biscuits back into oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove biscuits from oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Once cool enough to handle serve with aioli.
Crank up your cooking tip:
With the PowerPlus™ No Preheat feature on the Frigidaire Professional Double Wall Oven, you don’t have to wait for your oven to heat up to start baking!
Spicy Parmesan aioli
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 3 1/2 TBSP. grated parmesan
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 TBSP. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ancho chile powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- Kernels from 1 charred ear of corn
- 2 TBSP. minced cilantro
- Zest from 2 limes
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- Pastry knife
- Ice cream scoop